ACDN Perth Cake Crawl [ CAKE COMMUNITY ]

A few months ago I was asked if I would be interested in doing an airbrush demo for the Australian Cake Decorating Network...

With my retirement announced from creating cakes FOR clients and that my focus in the industry is to give BACK what I know and to help anywhere possible (esp if it is going to help pay for my studies and new student fund diet of instant coffee and Migori noodle).. so sure, what a PERFECT opportunity. Its been about 12 months since my last cake class...
so if not now... when? right?

As the weeks (well they flew past) so we will fly past all those details...

WEEK out from this PERTH CAKE CRAWL **read in show guys announcement voice for better effect**
I was starting to panic... Out of all the cake classes I have taught over the many years...big... small... l o n g ... short... over the thousands of kilometres, even overseas... I have never felt that sense of nervousness I felt on Thursday the 16th. I've tried to figure out why... because it's not normal for me to feel like this...
I know it isn't standing up in front of a crowd and making my voice be heard {ask anyone that knows me} I am GREAT with that task...
I knew my material and what I was demonstrating... so it couldn't be that {or maybe a tiny percentage as it has been a long while since I have been in the cake zone}
...the location? NOPE I was lucky enough to have my old stomping ground for the morning, felt like home {maybe a little emotional due to the memories that are still fresh and some raw}...
maybe I had forgotten something? NOPE.. and if I have it cant be any worse then forgetting the air compressors the morning of a massive airbrush class/demo I had for that Perth Cake Convention 5/6 years ago with Buddy Valastro, Mum had to SPEED home 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back to get them JUST so I could teach... {super Mother Duck, made it just as I started the class}
...could it be my Mum? she is always by my cake side... NOPE she was gong to be there on Saturday morning.. so that's ok...
Thursday... class set up.. every organised and sorted, I even skipped my own classes at school for the day to check and double check

All Set up READY

FRIDAY 17th... I was occupied which was a good thing... I had a full day of school and its was that full on I didn't get a moment to stress about cake...

SATURDAY ...SHOW DAY...
Set 9 alarms at all different times to make sure that I would not sleep in {I am a heavy sleeper}.. Leaped out of bed at the first chime. Not only was this nervousness still about but I was EXCITED! wow 40 something new faces I am going to meet TODAY {if that doesn't get you excited, you may need to go see someone}

Loaded the van with a few last minute things and headed down to the shop.
Mum grabbed our all time favourite coffee on her way, just like she use to every day when I had Delicate-Lee.
READY... haha

My first face to meet, was Liz, the event coordinator who I had be dealing with via email and phone all this time and Kelly who was helping her, also works for ACDN along with Cake Angels and her own cake stuff {super cake lady, we have so many super cake peeps in the industry and I can't wait to highlight this with some sprinkles}. They both were buzzing with excitement which helped these crazy nerves of mine... Kelly hit a heart string, she needed to hide, her best friend was going to be here from Melbourne and didn't know that she was also here... so a best friend surprise was going to happen... why is it such a surprise? well... Kelly had to move away and so their friendship is now long distance... WOW this hit home, my best friend.. Maybe this could be the reason.. she is always there for me (just now with a few kilometres between us), my beautiful best mate sent me a text that morning of encouragement and inspiration which helped A LOT.. (I do have alot of great support in the industry, I am pretty lucky, I received many messages of support that morning, so thank you... you know who you all are, you all helped me that morning).
...anyways... before I could really process it all... the people started to arrive...
I first thought that maybe just hanging out waiting in the shop would be a good idea until the time was to start... but that made me more nervous and TIME just s l o w l y ticki n g  by.. SO I started to introduce myself and give Liz a hand with handing out name tags... Nerves slowly passing...

Car park chats and cake deals...

WHAT A GREAT BUNCH OF CAKE PEEPS (so many Susans in the group) and it was so great, I finally got to meet some of my Facebook followers in the flesh! AND also seeing some of my past students too WOW... Now I feel I am ready to rock...

I now know... why I felt so nervous... and more nervous then ever before (nerves are good, I love feeling them, and for me its an indicator that a moment is going to be a good one and one that shouldn't be taken for granted) BUT these were ones I had never felt {I honestly thought I might be having panic attacks}...  I feel it was because Perth is my Cake home... Perth is where it started for me and now that I am closing the door to open another, the care I have to the Perth Cake Community is more special to me then "just" a demo or class. My teachings now are from a different view then the past... and this... was the first step in that direction. CRAZY so CRAZY but also exciting.

Superstar and "airbrush of the hour" ready to rock... {JOHNNY}
LOOK MUM, I am famous on TV
FREAKIN' Unicorn Cakes

Sonia, beautiful creative, talented lady {Torta Mia Cakes} so much cake love for this lady 


These guys... I got to hang out with them... Nice Scottish LADS, I hope you had a great time and we can catch up soon
Nice meeting you both, Paul and David
NOW... the class... well I felt amazing afterwards.. as the day finished I had talked cake so much that I felt hungover... SO hungover I didn't get to make it out to dinner, I stumbled to the van, Hugo (Yes, the van has a name, where ever HU GO, I GO) drove home, I walked through the shower and into bed and slept for 12 hours.

I wanted E V E R Y  S I N G L E person who was in that room to have walked away with learning something, anything... just something
The response after the class has been awesome, I am over the moon with the excitement for the buzz I have stirred up for some of these ladies.
T H A N K Y O U for teaching me something and stirring up that buzz and sparkle in me! I am going to need this to achieve my new cake goal.


THE AUSTRALIAN CAKE DECORATING NETWORK, PERTH CAKE CRAWL 


NOW... The wonderful Kate and her airbrush will be spending some time with me and Johnny in April. WE HAVE A DOUBLE DATE

**Special Thanks to ACDN {Liz, Kelly and Beautiful Mel} Joe and Casey from Bake Boss in Jandakot

Comments

Popular Posts